Thursday, October 12, 2006

Week One: Opposite of Rotten

This week 's reading was How to mark a book by Mortimer Alder. A short piece about using a book to it's full potential, marking pages or writing notes in the margin, something Alder's piece wasn't worth doing but if you haven't ever seen that in a book you haven't read enough books either that or you read only textbooks. Finding an underlined part in an old book is like walking the same path someone has has been down but you're attention is drawn to the same scenery as they were.This may not agree to any of you anti-mainstreamers that don't want to see the same thing as everyone else but when you read something that someone else read or saw fifty years before you it may mean something completely different when you read it.
When my Grandmother passed away in January, I inherited her copy of Jack London's Call of Wild. She had every line underlined and noted. The strange thing about it was that I had bought the book used about a month before her death and lent it to my Dad. It's those little serendipities that make life the opposite of rotten and get me on a long tangent like this. I can relate to Alder's piece, that story was brought to mind from it, although I can't underline the Mercury Reader in fear of the marks ruining its resale value.
Exporations: Soul Food Cafe
This is a captivating site made from the same style of template as our blogs. I hope that we learn to create our blogs into one like this. There were some helpful exercises and facilities to connect with blog teams.
Two Classmate Blogs: guppy1950: Thanks for the blueprint, I was concerned with how to lay my page out but you inspired me to copy. Good luck finding your topic!
keeks5: LiveJournal looks so bland but your comments are easily understood. Your observations about these stories and how 9/11 affected you give me the impression that you are a compassionate person.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: